Wednesday, July 07, 2010

America!!
Land of the Brave and Home of the Free.

It also happens to be the home of big cars, big stores, and big people.
That's what has struck me most in the three days since we arrived here. There's so much space and so much stuff!
And that last item on my list was NOT a cheap crack about fat Americans. When I wrote 'big', it wasn't a euphemism for porky or obese. Americans are TALL. Since I've been here, I've seen several men close to seven feet tall.
Srsly.
Of course, this is a college town famous for football players. But still....


What have we been doing since we got here on Sunday night?

Well, when we're not visiting my Grandad Art, we are mainly out shopping.

Yesterday, we hit the jackpot at a local thrift shop and came home with armfuls of amazing, nearly new clothes. Tya did particularly well, finding stuff to work with her Goth look. So, that was a fun 17th birthday activity for her- along with a screening of the latest 'Twilight' opus and a feast at a locally famous restaurant that has a ridiculously yummy buffet.

So, a good time is being had by all.

5 comments:

oreneta said...

Sounds wonderful! Hope you all have a blast.

Joy said...

So much space and so much stuff is one of the things that resonated with me the most on our return to Canada. No more squeezing the small car into smaller parking stalls - there's always a ton of room on either side, even for Lloyd's big half-ton truck!

YAY! for shopping wins, and Twilight films, and yummy buffets, and on a birthday, no less. :) I'm glad you're all having fun!

Heidi said...

Sounds fun!

I remember that, in the UK, I always felt ridiculously tall, and I'm short by US standards (5'5"). I was taller than a LOT of women there, which always felt very strange.

Kelly said...

Welcome home! Hope you have a great time while you're here.

Maybe they're so tall in Nebraska because they are corn fed! Just kidding.

I felt so short when I moved to Wisconsin. I'm only 5'2" and it seemed like there were so many more tall people there than in the south.

Anonymous said...

Hope you guys have a great visit, and now I am hungry for Val's!!!