Monday, January 29, 2007

I'll call this entry : "Spoiled Expat Brats in Ouaga". Too bad they're mine. sigh.
We went out to dinner last night. It wasn't as easy as it sounds. The electricity was out in many areas of Ouaga last night. Our first choice restaurant, a crepe place owned by some friends, turned out to be in a dark zone, so we drove on. The girls clamoured for Chinese, but as I know Severin hates it, I suggested we try a new restaurant. I'd noticed a new "American-style" place in the center of town. It was called "Happy Donald Hamburger House. What's not to like? For some reason, though,the twins were not having any of it.
As we drove up, the clamour edged toward riot level. But as the other four people in the family were looking forward to a cheeseburger, and I don't give in to tantrums, we stayed the course.
The tables were all outside and a monster-screen tv was showing a popular soccer match. We ordered. Everyone but the twins. Alexa threatened to throw herself in front of oncoming traffic, so that her death would make me sorry, sorry, sorry that I ever made her come to such a place. I finally threatened them with a week of no Nintendo DS. Mallory glared at me and crossed her arms. "Donald may be happy, but I'm not happy." she grumbled.
Things settled down. The food came after about an hour. Fast food just isn't very speedy around here. But it was actually really very good. The best hamburger I've had in Ouagadougou. Ever. And the twins ate their hotdogs and french fries (crinkle cut!!) with enthusiasm.
Yesterday, you saw that I'm a bad mom. Today, we have evidence that I've got bad kids. I guess it all balances out.

No comments: